Monday, February 9, 2009

Love your neighbor as yourself

Acts 3:1-10
Peter and John went to the Temple one afternoon to take part in the three o'clock prayer service. As they approached the Temple, a man lame from birth was being carried in. Each day he was put beside the Temple gate, the one called the Beautiful gate, so he could beg from the people going into the Temple. when he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for some money. Peter and John looked at him intently and Peter said, "Look at us!" The lame man looked at them eagerly expecting a gift. But Peter said, "I don't have any money for you. But I'll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!" Then Peter took the lame man by the right hand and helped him up. And as he did, the man's feet and anklebones were healed and strengthened. He jumped up, stood on his feet and began to walk! Then walking, leaping and praising God, he went into the Temple with them. All the people saw him walking and praising God. When they realized he was the lame beggar they had seen so often at the Beautiful Gate, they were absolutely astounded!

Peter and John were on their way to praise Me- to be in My Presence- to worship Me.
But they weren't in such a hurry that they did not notice the needs of one.
How many times do you walk by someone in need on your way to be with Me?
Peter and John loved Me and that translated into grasping each opportunity to love My children.
In this case, a lame beggar.
Imagine being carried to the Temple gate every day of your life to eek out a bare existence of a life by begging from strangers.
Never had the lame man been into the Temple. His whole life had been spent on the outside asking for handouts. Does your heart break for him like Mine does?
This man just hoped for enough to get a meal for that day, but I wanted to give him Life.
He didn't even look at the people who gave him coins.
He learned as a child that people did not want to look straight in the face of pain.
So he took what they gave and searched for no more, until Peter said to look at them.
Then the lame man looked expecting a gift.
Come to worship expecting a gift! Come expecting to see Me!
The lame man expected a monetary gift, but he left that day with so much more! More even than a physical healing.
He found Me!
Peter and John stopped to love Me by loving this one man and allowed the Holy Spirit to work through them.
Allow Me to love others through you- one at a time.
I will bring them to you - don't look away - look them in the eyes and love Me by loving them.
I won't ask you to give what you don't have.
Imagine this man's heart as for the first time in his life he entered into the Temple. The place that had been off-limits to him his entire life.
No wonder he was leaping and praising Me!
Have I not done the same for you?
So leap and praise Me and let others be astounded by what I have done in your life!
Peter and John demonstrated loving their neighbor as themselves and they gave Me all the glory.
I provided the opportunity, in the lame man, they stepped forward in faith to love him, and I was glorified.
Open your eyes to the opportunities I give you. I am faithful to provide them them daily.
Depend on Me to turn your weakness into My strength.
Expect miracles!
Expect Me to work in your life, then eagerly wait and watch for Me.
Love everyone one person at a time.
Remember I am with you every moment to be your Help and Strength.
Never forget that I love you so much that I gave My life for you, and that I want to be with you for all eternity.
My Love will never disappoint you.
My Love is great enough for you to risk loving others the way I love you.
I know it makes your heart race from fear and excitement.
Come love others with Me.
Dive in!

No comments: